Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dieting for Asians..........

What is the growing problem around the world? Obesity? Challenged with overweight? I've been there, I mean I'm still there, but, I think I've found my way out.
For last couple of years, I've been fighting with the weight. There was a time I used to think, how does people get fat? I don't. Also, I had a descent appetite until I started gaining weight. Once the weight started creeping up, the appetite started challenging it. They both won, I'm the person who lost in the game, result- carrying this unsightly extra amount of weight around my belly. Some time I used to feel like I'm carrying a motor bike size tire around my belly & the tire started growing until it reached the size of a SUV tire. I felt so ashamed all the time, did not feel like wearing nice cloth or even shopping for cloth. When I came to USA I used to buy size 4 cloth, & again there was time when I had to shop size 10 for myself too. I can't believe how I let this happen to me? May be there was a lot of stress in my life, I found comfort indulging into food.
I tried various diet various time, some of them worked really great, lost weight nicely but it was hard to maintain.
So, I started researching on various diet, basic science behind weight gain & find a natural way to loose & maintain healthy weight.

I came up with following principal:

1)As I'm 30 pounds over weight, I'll have to consume total calorie that is less than I require for my basal metabolic work. After calculating that I found for now I will have to take less than 1000 cal/day. But, it will keep me always hungry, I'll lack essential nutrient & not suitable. So, to round it up,I figured I will take 1200 cals & will try to burn up around 200 cals everyday with some physical activities.
2)regular physical activity is very essential to loose & maintain a healthy weight. To get habituated I will have to start a gradually increasing walking or jogging program.
3)Another important thing was to find out a diet made with food of my taste, spicy indo-asian cuisine. Because, as many of the diet plan suggest I could have tried taking broccoli soup or pea soup for couple of days but later on I will start craving for my kind of food & may be I will indulge my craving with a plate of mutton biryani or anything of that kind which can give you A total of 1200 cals in one plate, resulting frustration will lead to another episode of weight gain & A vicious circle.
4) I found calorie counter was the best option. Just count the calorie what you eat, that way you can eat whatever you want with a watchful eye, that way you do not overindulge as you always try to save some calorie for later & after the end of the day when you fit right into the frame of your suggested calorie count, you feel an instant gratification.
5)Omit some of the bad food & substitute with better option. Like, omit white totally with substitute of healthier whole wheat, multi grain option.
6)Do not take sugar until necessary, If really needed try to substitute with low calorie artificial sweetener. Of course, you have to remember that although low calorie sweetener are not full with calories but consuming a lot of them can cause sugar craving. So, it is wise to limit the intake always.
7) Fill your plate with lots of vegetables. eat a lot of legumes, try to get most of your protein requirement from vegetable protein, get at least 2 serving of fruits or freshly squeezed fruit juice.
8) Eating a plate full of salad or soup right before your major meal will help you consume lesser calorie.
9)Start your day with A warm glass of water with a half lemon or lime squeezed in it. It helps to boost the liver & it's detoxification action.
10)Take 1 cup of green tea after lunch & dinner. Use little honey instead of sugar to sweeten the tea.
11) Always set your goal to loose weight in a slow pace, so that your body is well informed about the new status & help you maintain the new weight. 2lb/week will be ideal.
12) Once you reached your goal weight readjust your daily calorie requirement.
13) Drink plenty of fluid- plain water is the best.
14) Never skip a meal, specially breakfast. Skipping breakfast will send a signal to your body that your body is in a starvation mode & body will start maintaining his basic work using lowest possible calorie, so in turn you will not loose enough weight.
15) Grapefruit is a very good energy boosting fruit- substitute one each day.
16) Do some muscle toning exercise, the more you increase your muscle fiber, more you loose fat.

With the above principle, I will try to create a everyday low calorie menu which suits our Asian, Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistani taste, As well I will put the low calorie Chinese, Thai, Mediterranean recipes that I liked. hope we all be successful in our goal. Hope we will be able to turn our look to 20s again if not the age.

Best Wishes.

1 comment:

  1. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Really rarely can i encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail to the head. Your thought is outstanding; the thing is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about. I am delighted we found this around my find something with this. رقم أخصائية تغذية بالواتس

    ReplyDelete