Sunday, April 5, 2009

A thrilling recipe with tongue twister taste.




We go to Hong Kong market for our monthly shopping, specially for fresh fish and fresh veggies. I like the fact that you get the freshest fish and they clean and cut it in front of you. This week me and my husband decided to buy fresh blue shell crab they were selling just for 1.99 a pound. They were so lively and fresh. We have always loved crab but never bought fresh one because I thought cleaning will be tough. But, I should warn you beforehand, if your husband likes to help you cooking in the weekend, then only you try buying it live, otherwise you can buy already cleaned crab in the freezer section, or if you think you are a brave lady........"geaux you". I think the crab tasted best, I have ever tasted crab, because of it's freshness. It was a lot of fun too. As, you have to make them unconscious by hitting on their head. some got unconscious very easily, some did not. One crab was so full of life, that my husband broke it's shell by hitting on it's head but it did not get unconscious.........it seemed little brutal to me. so I left.
I also tried to make one crab unconscious & as soon as I hit one crab it grabbed my knife with it's claw and turned 360 degree around and started starring at me. Trust me ...........I'm not exaggerating. I was so scared, I was screaming and ran of to the bathroom and closed the door. My husband had a issue now to make fun of it. So, he made jokes all day.................as usual. But whole thing was a fun with good and tasty new dish.

Here is a link on how to clean crab.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSMzlPFXyc

Here is the recipe,

Ingredients:
Crabs 6 large Coconut, scraped 1/2 Garlic 8 cloves Whole dry red chillies 8 Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon Oil 1 tablespoon Onion , sliced 1 large Tamarind pulp 1 tablespoon Salt to taste Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon.

Method:
Clean crabs and keep them aside, only the body and claws are used (the crab claws can be lightly cracked and the body cut into half, to facilitate eating). Grind scraped coconut with garlic, red chillies, cumin seeds and turmeric powder to a fine paste. Heat oil on medium heat and sauté onion for two minutes. Add ground masala and sauté for a minute. Add tamarind pulp, (tamarind is optional, I cooked with and without, did not make any difference). salt to taste, crabs and one cup of water. Cover and simmer on low heat for fifteen minutes. Add little more water if necessary and cook till done. Sprinkle with garam masala powder and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment