Friday, January 30, 2009

A bye bye Shrimp recipe.


I just found out an Asian grocery near my house who sells live, fresh & giant shrimps just for $1.99 a pound. I was so happy about my new invention & bought couple of pounds of shrimp together. whole day I was searching for different shrimp recipes. Right after that, my husband came from office after their regular yearly health check up to tell me that his cholesterol is high & let me tell you one thing, I have seen a lot of patients in my clinic with very low good cholesterol, that is HDL,which in fact should be more than 40 & higher the better. His is lowest I have ever seen.

So, guess I will have to bade good bye to my new invention. But what to do with the shrimp I already bought? Go crazy for a day? OK, this is the recipe I made to wish good bye to buying shrimp to our house at least, temporarily. The shrimp returned the favour & tasted very good.

To share with you, the recipe follows;


Goanese shrimp curry:


Ingredients:

Shrimp- 1 lb (head off, tail on)

Grated coconut- 1 lb,

Finely chopped onion-1 cup,

Green chilies-chopped-1-2,

Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp,

Cumin-1/4th tsp,

mustard seeds-1/4th tsp,

Salt-per taste,

Coriander powder-1 tbsp,

Turmeric pdr- 1 tsp,

Black pepper pdr-per taste,

Finely chopped tomato-1 cup ( I ran out of tomato & used tomato ketchup, the end product was good)

Vinegar 3tbsp,

Whole dried red chilies-2-3.


Method:

Break the red chillies in 3-4 & soak in the vinegar & little warm water.

Clean the shrimp.

Heat oil in a pan. fry the cumin seeds until fragrant.

Now fry the onion in medium flame until brown.

In the mean time, blend the red chili with vinegar & water, grated coconut, mustard seed, tomato/ ketchup to a fine paste.

Now, add 2-3 raw shrimp in the mixture & blend it again until very well blended & smooth,

Once the onion is brown, add turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, fry a little, add salt, add the masala blend. Cook in low flame until the oil oozes out. Now, add coriander powder, sprinkle a little sugar & pepper powder.

Once the mixture looks well cooked, add chopped green chilies, once oil comes to the top add 1/4th cup of water.

mix a little & add shrimps.

Let it simmer for a while until the oil comes to the top one more time.

Garnish with chopped cilantro.


Serve with white rice & onion raita.

No comments:

Post a Comment